Today’s Heardle answer is an easy one if you’re of a certain age or into a particular kind of music — but could be difficult otherwise. If you play Heardle, you’ll know what I mean.
Haven’t played the game before? It’s one of the best Wordle alternatives and clones, but rather than making you guess five-letter words, it gives you six chances to identify a song from a 15-second intro. Heardle pulls its playlist from the most popular streamed tracks on a range of platforms, so you don’t need to be a huge music buff to stand a chance of getting a good score.
Still, it can be surprisingly tricky to guess the name of a song just from the intro. That’s where we come in — we’re keeping track of the answers from past Heardle games, and we’ll give you hints for today’s Heardle answer if you’re stumped.
Plus, if you just want to know the solution to today’s Heardle, you’ll find that here, too. No judgement from us.
Warning: spoilers lie ahead for Heardle #216, so only read on if you want to know today’s Heardle answer!
Today’s Heardle hints, Wednesday, September 28
Before we reveal today’s answer, here are a few hints that should help you if you’re stuck.
- This song was released in 1969
- This band shares its name with a music magazine
- This song has been included in several movies, TV shows, and games, including Adventures In Babysitting, The Simpsons, and Call Of Duty
Alright, that’s the hints done with — time for the solution.
Today’s Heardle answer, Wednesday, September 28
So, what is today’s Heardle answer?
The answer is Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones.
Did you get it? If Heardle’s clip wasn’t enough for you, check out the full song here:
Well done if you got the right answer!
Most of the Heardle players I saw online today managed to guess this song after just one second. Those who didn’t seemed to know the right band, but took a few goes to get the song right.
I had no clue on this track. I just don’t know the rock genre that well, even though I keep trying to expand my listening horizons!
Previous Heardle answers
If you’re looking for a list of older Heardle answers, we can also help. Here’s a list going back 20 games.
- #215 September 27: The One That Got Away — Katy Perry
- #214 September 26: Radioactive — Imagine Dragons
- #213 September 25: Georgia —Vance Joy
- #212 September 24: Layla — Derek and the Dominoes
- #211 September 23: Let Me Down Slowly — Alec Benjamin
- #210 September 22: Come As You Are —Nirvana
- #209 September 21: Mine — Bazzi
- #208 September 20: Listen to the Music — The Doobie Brothers
- #207 September 19: Play Date — Melanie Martinez
- #206 September 18: Speechless — Dan + Shay
- #205 September 17: Never Seen The Rain — Tones & I
- #204 September 16: Ivy — Frank Ocean
- #203 September 15: Everybody Talks — Neon Trees
- #202 September 14: Rock and Roll All Nite — KISS
- #201 September 13: Bad Guy — Billie Eilish
- #200 September 12: In The End — Linkin Park
- #199 September 11: Good Vibrations — The Beach Boys
- #198 September 10: Semi-Charmed Life — Third Eye Blind
- #197 September 9: Bad Day — Daniel Powter
- #196 September 8: H.O.L.Y. — Florida Georgia Line
- #195 September 7: Howlin’ For You — The Black Keys